- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Galata Mevlevihanesi (Galata Mevlevi Lodge Museum)
Galata Mevlevihanesi (Galata Mevlevi Lodge Museum) Review
Istanbul's oldest Mevlevi dervish lodge, which served as a meeting place and residence for "whirling dervishes" (followers of the Sufi mystic Celaleddin Rumi), was founded on this site in 1491 and rebuilt after a fire in 1765. Recently restored, it now houses a small but interesting museum with displays of dervish garments, handicrafts, and other artifacts, along with background information about the Mevlevi order and Sufism more generally. The biggest draw are the sema ceremonies (popularly known as whirling dervish ceremonies) that are performed by different Sufi groups at 5 pm each Sunday in the lodge's ceremonial hall. A sign out front explains how to book tickets; make arrangements in advance because performances can sell out.
- Address: Galip Dede Cad. 15, southeast of Tünel Sq., off İstiklal Cad., Beyoğlu, Istanbul | Map It
- Phone: 212/245–4141
- Cost: 5 TL, sema ceremonies 40 TL
- Hours: Apr.–Oct., Tues.–Sun. 9–7; Oct.–Apr., Tues.–Sun. 9–4:30
- Website: www.galatamevlevihanesimuzesi.gov.tr
- Location: Beyoğlu: Istanbul's New Town
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We decided last night to make use of the unseasonably warm weather in this part of the world and hit the road from Nicea to travel 315 kilometers to Usak, starting early this morning.
The concept of "early" Read more
We got back from Turkey a couple weeks ago, and all I can is…wow! Read more
We will be arriving in SELCUK, by bus, FAIRLY LATE IN THE EVENING, from Pammukale.
We would like to take a TAXI to our hotel: The Amazon Petit Hotel.
Will there likely be taxis available outside the Read more
· News & Features
Not far from Dolmabahce Palace, the Shangri La Bosphorous, Istanbul has opened at long last.... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Turkey is an alluring destination, with colorful bazaars in Istanbul, serene hot air balloon rides i... Read more