Süleyman the Magnificent commissioned Sinan to build this grandiose stone palace overlooking the Hippodrome in about 1520 for his brother-in-law, the grand vizier Ibrahim Pasha, and today it is one of the most important surviving examples of secular Ottoman architecture from its time. It now houses the Museum of Turkish and Islamic Arts, which has an exceptional collection of Islamic art and artifacts dating from the 7th through 20th centuries, including Qurans and other
calligraphic manuscripts, metalwork, wood and stone carvings, and one of the world's most highly regarded troves of antique carpets. This museum closed in 2013 for a complete renovation and is not expected to reopen until at least mid-2014.
Atmeydanı 46, Istanbul, Turkey