- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Kalenderhane Camii (Church of the Theotokos Kyriotissa)
Kalenderhane Camii (Church of the Theotokos Kyriotissa) Review
Located around the corner from Istanbul University and close to the Valens Aqueduct, the church is believed to have been built in the 12th century on the site of a much older chapel, and was converted into a mosque during the Ottoman period. The eclectic interior features beautiful marble panels in an array of colors, Byzantine-style exposed brickwork, and a vaulted dome that was painted over during the Ottoman period. The two side chapels are, unfortunately, closed, and frescoes found there that date to the Crusader occupation of Istanbul in the early 13th century have been moved to the Istanbul Archaeological Museum.
- Address: 16 Mart Şehitleri Cad., Beyazıt The Bazaar Area and Environs, Istanbul
- Hours: Daily sunrise to sunset; usually closed during prayer times
- Location: The Bazaar Area and Environs
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We decided last night to make use of the unseasonably warm weather in this part of the world and hit the road from Nicea to travel 315 kilometers to Usak, starting early this morning.
The concept of "early" Read more
We got back from Turkey a couple weeks ago, and all I can is…wow! Read more
We will be arriving in SELCUK, by bus, FAIRLY LATE IN THE EVENING, from Pammukale.
We would like to take a TAXI to our hotel: The Amazon Petit Hotel.
Will there likely be taxis available outside the Read more
· News & Features
Not far from Dolmabahce Palace, the Shangri La Bosphorous, Istanbul has opened at long last.... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Turkey is an alluring destination, with colorful bazaars in Istanbul, serene hot air balloon rides i... Read more