Fethiye Müzesi (Church of Theotokos Pammakaristos)
Fethiye Müzesi (Church of Theotokos Pammakaristos) Review
Thought to date to the 12th century, this church served as the seat of the Orthodox Patriarchate from 1456 to 1587 and a few years later was converted into a mosque, Fethiye Camii. While the main church building continues to function as a mosque, the beautiful side chapel has been turned into a small museum, with well-restored, impressive mosaics. The dome shows Christ Pantocrator ("ruler of all") surrounded by Old Testament prophets, while figures of Christ, saints, and patriarchs adorn the walls. In this chapel, Mehmet the Conqueror would talk religion and politics with his hand-picked patriarch, Gennadius.
- Address: Cami Avlusu Sokak off Fethiye Cad., Fatih, Western Districts, Istanbul
- Phone: 212/635–1273
- Cost: 5 TL
- Hours: Apr.–Oct., Thurs.–Tues. 9–6; Nov.–Mar., 9–4:30
- Location: Western Districts