- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Istanbul's 25 Best
Church of St. Mary of the Mongols (Church of Theotokos Panaghiotissa)
Church of St. Mary of the Mongols (Church of Theotokos Panaghiotissa) Review
This rose-red-color church is significant for being the only standing Byzantine-era church still in Greek hands, other churches having been appropriated and turned into mosques. It's beside the giant redbrick building of the Fener Greek School for Boys, and while it's often locked, it's still worth climbing up the hill to look at it from the outside. The church was the center of a nunnery reestablished by the Byzantine princess Maria Palaeologina, who spent 16 years in Iran as the wife of the Mongol Khan Abaqa in an attempt to form an anti-Muslim alliance.
- Address: Tevkii Cafer Mektebi Sokak, Western Districts, Istanbul
- Location: Western Districts
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
It is 10:15PM in this part of the globe. Read more
My wife, Joanne and I (from London, Ontario, Canada) went on our first "Bus Tour" and our first tour organized by Gate 1 Travel through a recommendation of a friend, Larry (from North Carolina) in late Read more
I have a trip planned in September to Turkey with two friends. The topic of tipping, when, to whom, and how much, has become such a talked about subject that I am now totally confused.
The subjec Read more
· News & Features
With its glamorous waterways and millennia of history, Istanbul is a stunner in any season. ... Read more
Not far from Dolmabahce Palace, the Shangri La Bosphorous, Istanbul has opened at long last.... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more