- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Beylerbeyi Palace (Beylerbeyi Sarayı)
Beylerbeyi Palace (Beylerbeyi Sarayı) Review
Built as a summer residence for Sultan Abdülaziz in 1865, Beylerbeyi is a bit like a mini-Dolmabahçe that incorporates a similarly eclectic mix of European and Turkish styles but is smaller, less grandiose, and has more of a personal feel. Beylerbeyi boasts ornately painted ceilings, Baccarat crystal chandeliers, gold-topped marble columns, and intricately carved wooden furniture; the central hall has a white-marble fountain and a stairway wide enough for a regiment. The magnolia-shaded palace grounds are also pleasant, while two waterfront bathing pavilions (one was for men, the other for women) stand out for their bizarrely fanciful architecture. You must join a tour to see the palace.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We decided last night to make use of the unseasonably warm weather in this part of the world and hit the road from Nicea to travel 315 kilometers to Usak, starting early this morning.
The concept of "early" Read more
We got back from Turkey a couple weeks ago, and all I can is…wow! Read more
We will be arriving in SELCUK, by bus, FAIRLY LATE IN THE EVENING, from Pammukale.
We would like to take a TAXI to our hotel: The Amazon Petit Hotel.
Will there likely be taxis available outside the Read more
· News & Features
Not far from Dolmabahce Palace, the Shangri La Bosphorous, Istanbul has opened at long last. ... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Turkey is an alluring destination, with colorful bazaars in Istanbul, serene hot air balloon rides i... Read more