- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
There are a lot of mosques in Istanbul. You won't have time to see them all, but you shouldn't leave the city without taking in the beauty and spirituality of at least several that rank as some of the most stunning architectural achievements in the world:
The Blue Mosque, for the sheer spectacle of domes, semidomes, minarets, and the 20,000 shimmering blue-green Iznik tiles that lend the mosque its name.
Rüstem Pasa Cami, for Iznik tiles in a magnificent array of colors and patterns.
Süleymaniye Cami, for its size, austere beauty, the enormous dome that seems to be held up principally by divine cooperation, and the tombs of the architect Sinan, his patron Süleyman the Magnificent, and the sultan's wife, Roxelana.
Sokollu Mehmet Pasa Rüstem, for elegance, harmony, and sumptuous tile work.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night Cruise Royal Caribbean
- $899 & up -- Oceanview: Roundtrip Venice Cruise — $899 Royal Caribbean
- $649 & up -- Last Minute: Greek Islands and Turkey Cruise — $649 Royal Caribbean
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off — $1,799 Windstar Cruises