Twenty-five kilometers (15½ miles) southeast of Midyat is the Mor Gabriel monastery, built on the site of a church that dates back to 387. The monastery is on the top of a hill in a desolate area, surrounded by fields and vineyards, a peaceful and tranquil setting. Reopened as a monastery in 1952 after having been closed for some time, the building is a traditionally a nunnery, though barely a dozen women remain; a few monks and the local patriarch, known as a Metropolitan, are also in residence, as are children sent to boarding school here to help preserve the ancient Syriac language. Two churches and a grotto hold the graves of monks who have lived here throughout the centuries. English-speaking guides—young men who live here as students—are usually on hand to show guests around.
25 km (15½ miles) southeast of Midyat, Midyat, Mardin, Turkey