- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Meryem Ana Kilisesi
Meryem Ana Kilisesi Review
Diybarbakır was once home to a large Christian population—Armenians, Chaldeans, and Assyrians—and several churches remain in the city, although the only one that still holds regular services is the Assyrian Orthodox Meryem Ana Kilisesi, on the western end of the old city. A peaceful oasis in the midst of the bustling city, the church is said to be built on the site of what was a temple used by sun worshippers and has a large courtyard lined with basalt stones. Parts of the church date back to the fourth century—look for the remains of the Roman arch beside the altar—but most of the structure is medieval. Services are held every Sunday at 8 am, although only a few people usually show up. Look for the signs from the Urfa Gate and be aware that this is one of the poorer parts of the old city.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We decided last night to make use of the unseasonably warm weather in this part of the world and hit the road from Nicea to travel 315 kilometers to Usak, starting early this morning.
The concept of "early" Read more
We got back from Turkey a couple weeks ago, and all I can is…wow! Read more
We will be arriving in SELCUK, by bus, FAIRLY LATE IN THE EVENING, from Pammukale.
We would like to take a TAXI to our hotel: The Amazon Petit Hotel.
Will there likely be taxis available outside the Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more