- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Turkish Airlines, Atlas Jet, and Pegasus have regular flights from Istanbul to Kars.
There are daily buses from Istanbul and Ankara to cities in the east, but it's a long trip and not much cheaper than flying. Kars is about 18 hours from Ankara ($35), 22 hours from Istanbul ($45), and 10 hours from Trabzon ($20). Van is about 20 hours from Ankara ($30), 24 hours from Istanbul ($40), and 12 hours from Trabzon ($20). Van Seyahat makes the trip from Istanbul to Van. Kars Doğu takes passenger from Istanbul to Kars.
The train is not the best option: the trip from Istanbul to Kars (38 hours or more) is brutally slow, though it's cheap.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's