- Explore the ruins of Ani This ancient city was once the seat of a small Armenian kingdom.
- Float in Lake Van As in Israel's Dead Sea, the water is rich in minerals and very alkaline; you'll be remarkably buoyant in the startlingly blue water.
- Take the ferry to Akdamar The uninhabited island and its monastery are worth the trek.
- Journey up Mt. Nemrut The massive stone heads looking out over the horizon are an impressive sight to behold.
- Visit the cliff-side monastery of Sümela The climb is fairly strenuous, but just seeing this remarkable sight is unforgettable.
- Wander through the bustling bazaars of Urfa and Gaziantep Craftsmen in these ancient cities still work the same way they have for centuries.
Need a break from the big city? View 42-hour itineraries from 13 cities.More