- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Located 20 km (12 miles) northeast of Zürich, Winterthur made its fortune through the textile industry and blossomed thanks to prosperous merchants who developed a love of art. They bequeathed the town some notable art museums, including the sublime Sammlung Oskar Reinhart Am Römerholz; the Villa Flora/Sammlung Hahnloser (www.villaflora.ch), a Sezession-style villa with works by Van Gogh, Redon, Vuillard, and Matisse; and the Museum Oskart Reinhart am Stadtgarten (www.museumoskarreinhart.ch), which focuses on lesser-known painters that Reinhart hunted down, such as Caspar David Friedrich and Arnold Böcklin. To get here, take any one of the trains leaving from the Hauptbahnhof or the Bahnhof Stadelhofen in Zürich every hour. Once you arrive in Winterthur, take the "Museumsbus" (5 SF) from the train station's Sektor M; it runs daily except Monday and takes 15 minutes (the last return bus leaves the museum at 5 pm). By car, follow the autobahn signs for Winterthur–St. Gallen. Take the Winterthur-Ohringen exit onto Schaffhauserstrasse into town, then left on Rychenbergstrasse to Haldenstrasse.
Winterthur at a Glance
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's