Founded in 1898, when vegetarians were regarded as "grass eaters," this restaurant has more than proved its staying power. It was taken over in 1904 by Bavarian Ambrosius Hiltl, who married the cook; the current patron, Rolf Hiltl, is their great-grandson. The enormous buffet offers everything from curried chickpeas to stuffed jalapeños, from breaded cheese dumplings to peas with butter and mint. The young business crowd stuffs the place full at lunch; DJs provide the
ambience on weekend evenings.