- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Lausanne lies on a major train route between Bern and Geneva, with express trains connecting from Basel and Zürich. Regional trains along the waterfront, connecting major lake towns, are frequent and swift unless you board one of the S-trains that stop at every village. Travel time between centers like Geneva and Nyon, or Lausanne and Vevey, is about 15 minutes; count on doubling that on an S-train.
There are also several private rail systems leading into small villages and rural regions, including the Montreux–Oberland–Bernois (MOB) Railroad's Golden Pass, which climbs sharply behind Montreux and cuts straight over the pre-Alps toward Château-d'Oex and the Berner Oberland. Reserve space in one of their glass-dome, panoramic cars and take in the countryside with food and beverage service brought to your seat. The historic Blonay–Chamby Railroad has steam-powered seasonal excursions, as does the Rochers-de-Naye line.
Blonay–Chamby Railroad (021/9432121. www.blonay-chamby.ch.)
Montreux–Oberland–Bernois Railroad (0840/245245. www.goldenpass.ch.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe