Château de Nyon
Château de Nyon Review
Dominating Nyon's hilltop over the waterfront is the Château de Nyon, a magnificent 12th-century multispire fortress with a terrace that takes in sweeping views of the lake and Mont Blanc. Its spacious rooms hold the collection of the Musée Historique, which traces the history of the castle inhabitants from residence by the Dukes of Savoy (1293–1536) through occupation by the Bernese (1536–1798) to reclamation by the canton following the Vaud revolution. The upper floors held prisoners until 1979, while the city council and courts met in chambers here until 1999. Exhibits throughout highlight the city's position as a renowned porcelain center. Modern-day conversions include a marriage salon and a caveau des vignerons (wine cellar) featuring wines of local growers.