When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
When to Go
Valais is at its sunny best in high summer and midwinter; foggy dampness overwhelms in late autumn and spring. Mountain weather is impetuous, embracing with its warmth one day and obliterating views and trails the next. Take your cues from local forecasts and mountain operators who have an experienced sense about shifting patterns. Misty clouds move away in short order opening up the path or vista for those who are patient.
Some of the best skiing and hiking can be had in March and September when crowds are the lightest and the sun is at its perfect arc. May, June, and November to mid-December are renovation, repair, and getaway times for locals. Facilities rotate closing periods, though, so you will always find a fluffy bed and good meal.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line