- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Pushed up against a stern, gray rock face, this small town is quiet and peaceful, with patrician homes lining its Grand-Rue. Once a customs station along the Roman route over the Col du Grand St-Bernard, in the 3rd century it witnessed the massacre of a band of Christian soldiers, the Theban Legion, and their chief, Maurice, who had refused to worship the Roman deities.
St-Maurice at a Glance
Elsewhere in Valais
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's