- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Beginning just outside Brig, this historic road meanders through deep gorges and wide, barren, rock-strewn pastures to offer increasingly beautiful views back toward Brig. At the summit (6,593 feet), the Hotel Bellevue Simplon-Kulm shares the high meadow with the Simplon Hospitz (Simplon Hospice), built 150 years ago at Napoléon's request and now owned by the monks of St. Bernard. Just beyond stands the bell-towered Alt Spital, a lodging built in the 17th century. Beyond the pass, the road continues through Italy, and it's possible to cut across the Italian upthrust and reenter Switzerland in the Ticino, near Ascona. From the summit of Simplon Pass you can still see parts of the old road used by traders and Napoléon. Look north toward the Bernese Alps to see a portion of the massive Aletsch Glacier.
Simplon Pass at a Glance
Elsewhere in Valais
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's