Le St-Christophe Review
Just before entering the Valais, this stone relais (inn), hewn of boulders from the gorge that separates Bex and St-Maurice, is a good place for a meal or an overnight. It may seem an unlikely location for a gourmet kitchen, but the place has been operating successfully for decades—then again, it is near the Bex salt mines, fascinating to visit, and the thermal baths at Lavey. In the multilevel dining room, contrasts between old and new, rustic and sophisticated, add interest to the dramatic open space. The menu of updated classics changes seasonally but meat grilled in the fireplace and served with potatoes au gratin or in their jackets with sour cream is a year-round favorite. Reserve one of the upper-level guest rooms and you can stay put after dinner.
- Address: Rte. de Lavey, St-Maurice, 1880
- Phone: 024/4852977
- Location: St-Maurice
- Closed Wed.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
During May, my husband and I went to Germany and Switzerland for our 5th wedding anniversary. We left on 5/14 and flew home on 5/23. ... Read more
We returned last Saturday from our trip to Switzerland, with a 2 day stopover in Iceland. It was absolutely fantastic. If you are interes... Read more