- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Hotel Monte Rosa
At a Glance
- near all the entertainment hotspots
- historical significance sets a unique, inspiring mood—you'll feel like conquering the Matterhorn yourself
- no in-house pool or spa facilities
- though trendy, the bar is narrow and uncomfortably cramped
Check Rates from our Partners
Hotel Monte Rosa Review
Alexander Seiler founded this historic hotel, expanding it over the years to its current size. This was the home base of Edward Whymper when he conquered the Matterhorn in 1865, and not surprisingly the establishment is a member of Swiss Historic Hotels. Behind its graceful, shuttered facade you'll find an ideal balance between modern convenience and history in the original ceiling moldings, fireplaces, and Victorian dining hall. Rooms boast impeccable, soft-toned decor; southern views go quickly and cost more. The bar is an après-ski must. The pool and health facilities are shared with sister-hotel Mont Cervin, and guests can take advantage of the hotel group's dine-around plan. During winter, dinner in-house is included in the room price.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Our journey to Zurich in 2012 was in keeping up with our tradition to ring in the New Year some where we have never visited. Read more
I planned my trip using this forum and thought I should pay it forward and hopefully help someone else out there who is planning a trip. Read more
Need advice for my trip - 19 May - 3 June 2014.
Fly into Amsterdam and leave from Vienna.
Beginning at Amsterdam, my wife and I would like to travel by train and the 2 must visit place are Zermatt, Salszburgh. Read more
· News & Features
Thick fondue, rolling green hills, well-preserved medieval towns—the canton of Fribourg in easte ... Read more
There's something wonderfully comforting about an old-school ski resort.... Read more
Switzerland may be best known for its frosty summits, but the tiny-yet-diverse country opens up in summertime... Read more