- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Hotel Monte Rosa
At a Glance
- near all the entertainment hotspots
- historical significance sets a unique, inspiring mood—you'll feel like conquering the Matterhorn yourself
- no in-house pool or spa facilities
- though trendy, the bar is narrow and uncomfortably cramped
Check Rates from our Partners
Hotel Monte Rosa Review
Alexander Seiler founded this historic hotel, expanding it over the years to its current size. This was the home base of Edward Whymper when he conquered the Matterhorn in 1865, and not surprisingly the establishment is a member of Swiss Historic Hotels. Behind its graceful, shuttered facade you'll find an ideal balance between modern convenience and history in the original ceiling moldings, fireplaces, and Victorian dining hall. Rooms boast impeccable, soft-toned decor; southern views go quickly and cost more. The bar is an après-ski must. The pool and health facilities are shared with sister-hotel Mont Cervin, and guests can take advantage of the hotel group's dine-around plan. During winter, dinner in-house is included in the room price.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Just back less than a week ago from my 8 day/night solo trip to Bern.
Stayed in a 333 year-old building apartment (VRBO) a half block from Bern's famous Muenster and half a block from Clock Tower.
Had sun, Read more
There is no way our trip would have been so enjoyable without the suggestions from the fodor community so a BIGGGGG thank you!
Here is the link to our blog which is slow but sure!
http://talesoftwoglobetrotters.blogspot.com/ Read more
After countless hours within these forums, I’ve built a draft itinerary for our upcoming 5 week holiday in Europe next July/Aug (flying in and out from Paris)
For those that have experienced Read more
· News & Features
Switzerland may be best known for its frosty summits, but the tiny-yet-diverse country opens up in summertime... Read more
Starting in the sun-splashed coast of the French Riviera, a road trip is one of the most stunning and... Read more
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more