- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Église-Forteresse de Valère (Church-Fortress of Valère)
Église-Forteresse de Valère (Church-Fortress of Valère) Review
On Valère, Sion's lower hill, the Église-Forteresse de Valèreis a striking example of sacred and secular power combined—reflective of the Church's heyday, when it often subjugated rather than served its parishioners. Built on Roman foundations, the massive stone walls enclose both the château and the 11th-century Église Notre-Dame de Valère (Church of Our Lady of Valère). This structure stands in a relatively raw form, rare in Switzerland, where monuments are often restored to perfection. Over the engaging Romanesque carvings, 16th-century fresco fragments, and 17th-century stalls painted with scenes of the Passion, there sits a rare organ, its cabinet painted with two fine medieval Christian scenes. Dating from the 14th century, it's the oldest playable organ in the world, and an annual organ festival celebrates its musical virtues.
The château complex also houses the Musée Cantonal d'Histoire (History Museum), which displays a wide array of medieval sacristy chests and religious artifacts. Expanded exhibits trace daily life and advances in the canton from these early centuries to the present day, including soccer championships. Explanations are in three languages, including English, as are guided tours. To reach the Musée Cantonal d'Histoire, you'll have to trek up uneven stone walkways and steep staircases, but you won't regret it.
- Address: Rue des Châteaux 24, Sion, 1950
- Phone: 027/6064715
- Cost: Church free, guided tour 4 SF; museum 8 SF
- Hours: Church June–Sept., Mon.–Sat. 10–6, Sun. 2–6; Oct.–May, Tues.–Sat. 10–5, Sun. 2–5. Museum June–Sept., daily 10–6; Oct.–May, Tues.– Sun. 10–5. Tours of the museum June–Sept., daily 2:30; Oct–May, Sun. 2:30.
- Website: www.musees-valais.ch
- Location: Sion
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Just back less than a week ago from my 8 day/night solo trip to Bern.
Stayed in a 333 year-old building apartment (VRBO) a half block from Bern's famous Muenster and half a block from Clock Tower.
Had sun, Read more
There is no way our trip would have been so enjoyable without the suggestions from the fodor community so a BIGGGGG thank you!
Here is the link to our blog which is slow but sure!
http://talesoftwoglobetrotters.blogspot.com/ Read more
My wife and I are planning a 14 day trip next August and could use your help. Read more
· News & Features
Switzerland may be best known for its frosty summits, but the tiny-yet-diverse country opens up in summertime ... Read more
Starting in the sun-splashed coast of the French Riviera, a road trip is one of the most stunning and... Read more
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more