In most of Switzerland, dress is casual. City dress is more formal. Men would be wise to pack a jacket and tie if dining in some of the expensive restaurants, even in mountain resorts; otherwise, a button-up shirt or elegant sweater are standard at night. Also keep in mind that sneakers or jeans won't cut it for most upscale restaurants or clubs, even when paired with a good shirt. Women wear skirts more frequently here than in the United States, though anything fashionable is fine. Except at the chicest hotels in international resorts, you won't need formal evening dress.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Switzerland Experience IExplore
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
- Switzerland by Train IExplore
- Switzerland by Train — $9,755 IExplore