- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
There are two major gateways into Ticino: the St. Gotthard Pass, in the northwest, and the San Bernardino Pass, to the northeast. From the St. Gotthard Pass, the swift A2 expressway leads down the Valle Leventina to Bellinzona, where it joins with A13, which cuts south from the San Bernardino. A2 directs the mingled traffic flow southward past Lugano to Chiasso and the Italian border, where the expressway heads directly to Como and Milan.
As an alternative, there's the St. Gotthard Tunnel—if traffic is light, it can cut an hour off your travel time, but if the passes are closed and it's holiday migration time, tunnel traffic can be nasty. A car is a real asset here if you intend to see the mountain valleys—and a hindrance in the congested lakeside resorts.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe