- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
At a Glance
- the historic suites are showstoppers
- even the smallest rooms feature heated bathroom floors
- the 1983 wing feels a bit more Miami Vice than Pride and Prejudice
- grand interiors missing a bit of cozy warmth
Check Rates from our Partners
Splendide Royale Review
This local landmark opened its doors in 1888, and much of the Victorian luster of its public spaces—with their colorful frescos, crystal chandeliers, and ornate antiques—has been respectfully preserved. Some of the famous clientele, including Sophia Loren, Lauren Bacall, Stevie Wonder, Patti Smith, and Tina Turner, have signed the lobby's livre d'or (guest book). If you'd like a sleeker room, opt for the newer wing, where discreetly modern rooms are decorated in beige and gold. The balconies and terraces open onto lake or garden views. For the panoramic version of Lake Lugano, head to the restaurant.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Just back less than a week ago from my 8 day/night solo trip to Bern.
Stayed in a 333 year-old building apartment (VRBO) a half block from Bern's famous Muenster and half a block from Clock Tower.
Had sun, Read more
There is no way our trip would have been so enjoyable without the suggestions from the fodor community so a BIGGGGG thank you!
Here is the link to our blog which is slow but sure!
http://talesoftwoglobetrotters.blogspot.com/ Read more
Planning a trip or dreaming of your return? Read more
· News & Features
Switzerland may be best known for its frosty summits, but the tiny-yet-diverse country opens up in summertime ... Read more
Starting in the sun-splashed coast of the French Riviera, a road trip is one of the most stunning and... Read more
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more