- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Luscious Lugano: Nowhere in Ticino do Italian chic and Swiss quality mingle so perfectly. But there is more going on here than people-watching and ice-cream tasting: churches, museums, and the restored Old Town also demand attention.
Land o' Lakes: Gaze at the verdant mountains, cozy villages, and palm-fronted shores from the vantage point of the elegant old ferry boats that ply the waters of the Lago Maggiore and Lago di Lugano.
Castle-topped Bellinzona: Old cobblestone streets, shady arcades, and the three fortresses that once upon a time held the line between Italy and the wild Swiss take the visitor back to a time when this region belonged to Milan.
Get a view: Monte Bré (near Lugano) can be climbed on foot or by funicular, which is faster and far less tiring. Either way, the view from the top is one that will take your breath away.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save in Lugano: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $405+/Nt Save with Expedia, $45/night less
- Book in Lugano: Save this May Fr $266+/Nt Save with Expedia, $25/night less
- Holiday Inn Lugano Centre in May: $140 & Up — $140 Expedia