- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
For a quintessentially scenic spot, stop over in Vitznau, a tiny waterfront resort that competes with Weggis for the balmiest weather. Small as this village may be, it looms large on the tourist radar. Not only is Vitznau the home of the magnificently palatial Park Hotel, it's also the site of Switzerland's first-ever cog railway (opened in 1871); the Mülefluh fortress (the first artillery fortress in the country); and the shipyards where Lake Luzern's fabled paddleboat steamers were first built. Today it's the best place to see the world's largest Swiss flag, proudly displayed in summer on a face of Mt. Rigi overlooking Vitznau.
Vitznau at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Luzern and Central Switzerland
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's