When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
When to Go
The geographic heart of Switzerland enjoys four distinct seasons, which are temperate in the valleys and more extreme in the mountains. Spring, summer, and fall are perfect for warm-weather outdoor activities.
Fall becomes crisp around October and winter brings snow to the highlands. Keep in mind that snow can stay as late as May and come as early as August over 6,500 feet.
Avoid walking in creek beds: a hidden rainstorm high in the mountains can turn a trickling brook into a rushing torrent in a matter of seconds and has swept away many a hiker.
If you're going up and down mountains, dress like an onion: in layers. The warmth of the valley can be quickly replaced by a cold breeze 5,000 feet higher.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's