When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
When to Go
The geographic heart of Switzerland enjoys four distinct seasons, which are temperate in the valleys and more extreme in the mountains. Spring, summer, and fall are perfect for warm-weather outdoor activities.
Fall becomes crisp around October and winter brings snow to the highlands. Keep in mind that snow can stay as late as May and come as early as August over 6,500 feet.
Avoid walking in creek beds: a hidden rainstorm high in the mountains can turn a trickling brook into a rushing torrent in a matter of seconds and has swept away many a hiker.
If you're going up and down mountains, dress like an onion: in layers. The warmth of the valley can be quickly replaced by a cold breeze 5,000 feet higher.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save in Z?rich: Book 3 Nts in Jun Fr $531+/Nt Expedia
- Look no Further! Z?rich Hotels Fr $139+/Nt Travelocity
- Book 3 Nts in Z?rich this Jun Fr $211+/Nt — $211 Expedia
- Look no Further! Z?rich Hotels Fr $269+/Nt — $269 Travelocity
- Book the Comfort Royal Zurich 3 Nts in Jun Fr $206+/Nt — $206 Save with Expedia, $51/night less