Luzern and Central Switzerland Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
Luzern: The must-see spot on the tour, it offers not only famous sights—the Chapel Bridge, the Lion Monument—but also other treasures, like the Rosengart Picassos and that perfect table for two under the chestnut trees on the lakeside promenade.
Mountain majesty: Thanks to cable cars and cog railways, hill thrills—and some of the most staggering panoramas—can be yours atop Mts. Pilatus, Titlis, and Rigi.
Wilhelm Tell country: As with all good legends, the story of the famous archer who shot an apple from his son's head with a crossbow may have little basis in fact, but don't tell that to the crowds who visit his home turf in and around Altdorf.
A paddleboat steamer ride: Lake Luzern's smart white steamboats—including beautifully kept and picturesque old paddle steamers—offer a voyage back in time.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe