- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Thanks to the Swiss Railways (SBB/CFF/FFS) and the affiliated UNESCO World Heritage Status narrow-gauge Rhätische Bahn (the Rhaetian Railway, commonly referred to as the "Rhätibahn"), most destinations mentioned here are reachable by train, and Swiss postbuses stop in places where there is no train service.
The Bernina Express runs from Chur to St. Moritz via the Albula route and on to Italy past the spectacular Bernina peaks, lakes, and glaciers. The Engadine Star makes its way from Klosters to St. Moritz in a couple of hours. The glamorous Glacier Express, billed as "the slowest express in the world," connects St. Moritz with Zermatt via the Oberalp Pass, crossing 291 bridges during its 7½-hour journey. The train includes an antique burnished-wood dining car; you can book a table through Rail Gourmino swissAlps.
Reservations for these trains are mandatory and can be made at almost any European rail station. As on the federal railways, a variety of reduced-price passes are available.
Rail Gourmino swissAlps (Gürtelstr. 14, Chur, Graubünden, 7000. 081/3001515. www.rgswissalps.ch.)
Rhätische Bahn (081/2886565. www.rhb.ch.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save at 3-Star EMA house - The Zurich All Suite: $466 & Up in May Expedia
- Visit Z?rich for Less: Hotels Fr $185+/Nt Travelocity
- Small budget: Book Dolder Waldhaus 3 Nts in May Fr $281+/Nt — $281 Expedia
- Visit Z?rich for Less: Hotels Fr $111+/Nt — $111 Travelocity
- Small budget: Stay in Z?rich this May Fr $189+/Nt — $189 Save with Expedia, $78/night less