- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Don't let the whirlwind of activities at St. Moritz make you forget that its raison d'être is skiing. You can reach the Corviglia-Piz Nair, Suvretta, and Marguns slopes, immediately above St. Moritz, from the Chantarella-Corviglia funicular in Dorf, the Signal cableway in Bad, the Suvretta chairlift, and the Marguns gondolas in Celerina. There are 80 km (50 mi) of difficult, intermediate, and easy runs and a half pipe for snowboarders. The Upper Engadine ski region offers 350 km (217 mi) of prepared trails. The views from Corviglia, Piz Nair, and the Suvretta Paradise run are magnificent.
Descents behind Piz Nair (10,026 feet) eventually lead down to Marguns; they are often in shadow in early winter but have the best snow up to the end of the season. With the help of snowmaking equipment, conditions usually remain excellent until late April. The sunny Suvretta slopes are usually less crowded, but they don't have snowmaking equipment.
Suvretta Snowsports School. For instruction there are a number of choices, including the Suvretta Snowsports School. Via Chasellas 1, St. Moritz, Graubünden. 081/8366161. www.suvrettasnowsports.ch.
St. Moritz Ski School. The St. Moritz Ski School, in town, is the oldest in Switzerland. Via Stredas 14, St. Moritz, Graubünden. 081/8300101. www.skischool.ch.
You can join a group and go with an instructor on a free "snow safari" offered by any ski school, which begin in Sils and end in Cellerina.
Ski Service Corvatsch. Rental equipment is available at Ski Service Corvatsch at the Corviglia valley and mountain stations. St. Moritz, Graubünden. 081/8387777.
One-day tickets for St. Moritz are 71 SF; six-day regional passes cost 358 SF. Prices include transportation between ski stations on the Engadine) bus service.
Ski hotline. For reports on daily snow conditions, call the hotline; the English-language version comes last. St. Moritz, Graubünden. 084/4844944.
Langlauf school. Cross-country skiing has its base in St. Moritz Bad, where the Langlauf school offers lessons and excursions. You can try out the close-by Engadine Marathon track or the many side valleys. Near the school is a lighted circular trail of 3 km (2 mi) open from 5:30 pm to 9:00 pm. Plazza Paracelsus 2, St. Moritz, Graubünden, 7500. 081/8336233.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Book Altstadt 3 Nts in Jun Fr $348+/Nt Expedia
- Look no Further! Z?rich Hotels Fr $269+/Nt Travelocity
- Book Now & Save! Z?rich Fr $139+/Nt — $139 Travelocity
- Special deal: 4-Star Senator Fr $303+/Nt — $303 Expedia
- Save in Z?rich: Book 3 Nts in Jun Fr $352+/Nt — $352 Expedia