The Cathedral of the Assumption was built between 1151 and 1272, drawing on stylistic influences from all across Europe. On this same site have stood a Roman castle, a bishop's house in the 5th century, and a Carolingian cathedral in the 8th century. Inside, the capitals of the columns are carved with fantastical beasts; clustered at their bases are less threatening animals, such as sheep and marmots. In the choir is a magnificent late-15th-century altar of gilded
wood with nearly 150 carved figures created by Jakob Russ from Ravensburg, Germany.
Hof, Chur, Graubünden, 7000, Switzerland