Aristocratic town houses now overlook Geneva's opera house, the Musée Rath, the Conservatoire de Musique, and the gilded wrought-iron entrance to the Parc des Bastions, but until 1850 this wide-open space was the city's heavily fortified main southern gate. The equestrian statue at the center of the square honors Guillaume-Henri Dufour, the first general of Switzerland's federal army and the first person to map the country. The large bust of Henry Dunant, founder of the
International Red Cross, marks the spot where public executions once took place.
Intersection of Bd. du Théâtre, Rue de la Corraterie, Rue de la Croix-Rouge, and Rue Bartholoni, Geneva, 1204, Switzerland