Reformed services in English, Italian, Spanish, Dutch, and German made this simple Gothic structure, built in the 15th century on the site of two prior churches, a potent international gathering place for 16th-century Protestant refugees. The Scots reformer John Knox preached here from 1556 to 1559 while he translated the Bible into English, initiating the Presbyterian church; Calvin and his successors used the space to teach theology and train missionaries into the 18th
century. Today the auditoire hosts the Church of Scotland, the Dutch Reformed Community, and the Waldensian Church of Italy.
1 pl. de la Taconnerie, Geneva, 1204, Switzerland