- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Palais des Nations (Palace of Nations)
Palais des Nations (Palace of Nations) Review
Built between 1929 and 1936 for the League of Nations, this monumental compound became the European office of the United Nations in 1946 and quickly evolved into the largest center for multilateral diplomacy in the world. Today it hosts some 9,000 conferences and 25,000 delegates each year; it is also the largest nexus for United Nations operational activities after New York.
Security is tight: be prepared to show your passport. Points of particular interest include the Assembly Hall, the largest of 34 conference rooms, where the UN General Assembly and scores of world leaders have met, and the ornate Council Chamber, home to the Conference on Disarmament, which glows with allegorical murals. Tours last about one hour and are conducted in 15 languages, including English.
- Address: 14 av. de la Paix, International Area, Geneva, 1202 | Map It
- Phone: 022/9174896
- Cost: 12 SF
- Hours: Sept.–Mar., weekdays 10–noon and 2–4, Tours: 10:30, noon, 2:30, and 4; Apr.–June, daily 10–noon and 2–4, Tours: 10:30, noon, 2:30, 4; July and Aug., daily 10–5, Tours: 10:30
- Website: www.unog.ch
- Location: International Area
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Just back less than a week ago from my 8 day/night solo trip to Bern.
Stayed in a 333 year-old building apartment (VRBO) a half block from Bern's famous Muenster and half a block from Clock Tower.
Had sun, Read more
There is no way our trip would have been so enjoyable without the suggestions from the fodor community so a BIGGGGG thank you!
Here is the link to our blog which is slow but sure!
http://talesoftwoglobetrotters.blogspot.com/ Read more
After countless hours within these forums, I’ve built a draft itinerary for our upcoming 5 week holiday in Europe next July/Aug (flying in and out from Paris)
For those that have experienced Read more
· News & Features
Switzerland may be best known for its frosty summits, but the tiny-yet-diverse country opens up in summertime... Read more
Starting in the sun-splashed coast of the French Riviera, a road trip is one of the most stunning and... Read more
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more