When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
When to Go
Spring and fall are beautiful times to visit anywhere in this region. During the summer, temperatures reach an average of 18–20° C (65–68° F), which is comfortable, but crowds tend to pick up, especially in Gruyères. During a heat wave it's not unusual for temperatures to soar to 30° C (86° F). In winter the average temperature is 0–3° C (32–38° F). In the pre-Alps region there can be long periods of snowfall. January is great for winter sports. You can't be sure of snow in December, and in February some canton or other (not to mention the Germans, English, Dutch, and Italians) will invariably have school vacations, so slopes get pretty crowded. When the snow lasts, March can also be great for skiing.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's