- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
One of the most notable ancient Roman settlements of Switzerland's "Roman era" is the Aventicum, which dates from 58 BC to AD 400. Pride of place goes to the famous Musée et Théâtre Romain (Roman Museum and Theater), where you can still see the remains of an ancient Roman forum, a bathhouse, and an amphitheater where bloodthirsty spectators once watched the games. The collection of Roman antiquities at the town museum is noteworthy, particularly the gold bust of emperor Marcus Aurelius. To get here from Murten, head 8 km (5 miles) southwest to Avenches.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Just back less than a week ago from my 8 day/night solo trip to Bern.
Stayed in a 333 year-old building apartment (VRBO) a half block from Bern's famous Muenster and half a block from Clock Tower.
Had sun, Read more
There is no way our trip would have been so enjoyable without the suggestions from the fodor community so a BIGGGGG thank you!
Here is the link to our blog which is slow but sure!
http://talesoftwoglobetrotters.blogspot.com/ Read more
Hi I need some help planning an itinerary for 3 families travelling to Europe for 6 weeks in 2014. Read more
· News & Features
There's something wonderfully comforting about an old-school ski resort. ... Read more
Switzerland may be best known for its frosty summits, but the tiny-yet-diverse country opens up in summertime... Read more
Starting in the sun-splashed coast of the French Riviera, a road trip is one of the most stunning and... Read more