As Fribourg expanded from the Basse-Ville, it crossed the river over the Pont du Milieu (Middle Bridge) to a narrow bank, the Planche-Inférieure, where picturesque, terraced houses abound. As the town prospered, it spread to the statelier 16th- and 17th-century Planche-Superiéure, a large, sloping, open triangular place (square) that was once the busy livestock market. It is now lined with several upscale restaurants and cafés. From here you can walk up to the Chapelle de Lorette (Loreto Chapel), once a favored pilgrimage site, for the best view of Fribourg.
- Address: Fribourg, Fribourg
- Location: Fribourg
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's