Fribourg and Neuchatel Sights

Advertisement

Église des Cordeliers (Church of the Franciscan Friars)

Église des Cordeliers (Church of the Franciscan Friars) Review

This imposing 13th-century church is attached to a Franciscan friary. Its pale walls and the rose-, gray-, and alabaster-colored ceiling contrast with the Gothic darkness of the interior. A 16th-century polyptych by an anonymous Nelkenmeister, or Maître à l'Oeillet (one of a group of painters who signed their works only with red and white carnations), hangs over the high altar. A carved-wood triptych, believed to be Alsatian, and a 15th-century retable of the temptation of St. Anthony painted by the Fribourg artist Hans Fries adorn the side walls. At the entrance to the cloister leading to the friary is a 13th-century five-panel fresco depicting the birth of the Virgin Mary.

    Contact Information

  • Address: Place de Notre-Dame, Fribourg, Fribourg, 1700 | Map It
  • Phone: 026/3471160
  • Cost: Free
  • Hours: Mon.–Sat. 9–6, Sun. noon–6
  • Location: Fribourg
Updated: 10-09-2012

Fodorite Reviews

Be the first to review this property

Advertisement

· Map of Église des Cordeliers

Map of