- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Getting Here and Around
Direct trains connect Fribourg to major Swiss cities: Geneva is 1 hour 25 minutes away, Lausanne is 45 to 50 minutes, Bern is 22 to 35 minutes, and Zurich is 1 hour 24 minutes on a direct train. Buses leave from behind Fribourg's train station for villages in the surrounding canton. If your knowledge of French or German is good, then the Fribourg and Neuchâtel transportation websites will be useful.
From the Place de Tilleul in Fribourg, the Rue de Lausanne climbs upward. Like Rue des Alpes, it, too, is shop-lined, with tightly spaced 18th-century buildings hiding terraced gardens of surprising size. The 19th- and 20th-century section of the city begins at the top of Rue de Lausanne; nearby are the main buildings of the university. The 21st century has arrived in the form of the Fribourg Center shopping mall, close to the station.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's