- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Getting Here and Around
Direct trains connect Fribourg to major Swiss cities: Geneva is 1 hour 25 minutes away, Lausanne is 45 to 50 minutes, Bern is 22 to 35 minutes, and Zurich is 1 hour 24 minutes on a direct train. Buses leave from behind Fribourg's train station for villages in the surrounding canton. If your knowledge of French or German is good, then the Fribourg and Neuchâtel transportation Web sites will be useful.
From the Place de Tilleul in Fribourg, the Rue de Lausanne climbs upward. Like Rue des Alpes, it, too, is shop-lined, with tightly spaced 18th-century buildings hiding terraced gardens of surprising size. The 19th- and 20th-century section of the city begins at the top of Rue de Lausanne; nearby are the main buildings of the university. The 21st century has arrived in the form of the Fribourg Center shopping mall, close to the station.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save at 4-Star BEST WESTERN bern: $275 & Up in Jun Expedia
- Bern Savings! Book 3 Nts in Jun at Novotel Bern Expo Fr $163+/Nt Expedia
- Book in Bern: Save this Jun Fr $181+/Nt — $181 Expedia
- Bern Savings! Book at Holiday Inn Bern-Westside Fr $166+/Nt — $166 Expedia