- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Along with its history-soaked and highly picturesque Old Town (in summer, don't miss the Saturday morning market bursting with local produce), lakeside Estavayer is a haven for walkers, cyclists, boaters, and water-sports enthusiasts. In addition, it is a beloved base for nature lovers who head here to enjoy Grande Cariçaie, one of Europe's premier nature reserves, which nestles along the southern flank of Lac Neuchâtel.
The tiny town can still be navigated using a map drawn in 1599. It has retained much of its medieval architecture, from the arcades of the town center to the gracious, multi-towered medieval Château de Chenaux, which now houses its government offices.
Estavayer-le-Lac at a Glance
Elsewhere in Fribourg and Neuchâtel
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's