- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Between Liechtenstein and Zürich, the spectacular, blue-green lake called the Walensee is a deep emerald gash that stretches 16 km (10 miles) through the mountains, reflecting the jagged Churfirsten peaks. Once bypassed by Zürich residents en route to family chalets in Graubunden and Valais, this area is seeing a new life as a weekend getaway because of a new tunnel that has discreetly hidden the cars in a pipeline of half-tunnels. Walenstadt is the region's biggest town and has the most dining options, while the strand of other lakefront villages are incredibly picturesque and read like a Harry Potter witchcraft spell: Weesen, Quinten, Quarten, and Murg.
Elsewhere in Eastern Switzerland
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's