- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Rail connections are somewhat complicated in this area, especially if you want to visit more of Appenzell than its major towns. Schaffhausen and St. Gallen are the main hubs from which regional trains head into the countryside. The only railroads into the canton are the narrow-gauge line between St. Gallen and the town of Appenzell, and the Gossau-Appenzell-Wasserauen line. To see more of the territory, you may return to St. Gallen on this same line by way of Herisau.
Although there is no regional rail pass available for eastern Switzerland, the general Swiss Pass rail pass includes St. Gallen and Schaffhausen city transit, as well as overall rail privileges.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Switzerland Experience IExplore
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
- Switzerland by Train IExplore
- Switzerland by Train — $9,755 IExplore