- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
The riverside Stein-am-Rhein is one of Switzerland's loveliest (and wealthiest) communities. It lies at a pivotal point where the Rhine leaves the Bodensee, marked by three small leafy islands, one of which is still inhabited by monks. Crossing the bridge over the river, you see the village spread along the waterfront, its foundations and docks rising directly out of the water. Restaurants, hotels, and shops occupy 16th- and 17th-century buildings covered with ancient frescoes. Hovering over the walled town is a medieval castle surrounded by vineyards, home to an excellent restaurant with views.
Stein-am-Rhein at a Glance
Elsewhere in Eastern Switzerland
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's