Eastern Switzerland Hotels
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Eastern Switzerland Hotel Reviews
During the summer high season, Stein-am-Rhein and Gottlieben swell with tourists because there's no town around to catch the overflow. St. Gallen has a large convention center, so you should make your reservation in advance. Other destinations will usually still have a room or two on short notice. For romantic getaways, consider the castellated Drachenburg und Waaghaus in Gottlieben, a teeny-tiny village on the misty bank of the Rhine, or something along the shore of Stein am Rhein, which quiets down in the evening when many of the bikers depart. For an adventurous getaway, try the Berggastaus Aescher-Wildkirchli, nestled high above Appenzell on the rocky face on Ebenalp. More and more hotels in this region are throwing away their Formica and commissioning hand-painted furniture to complement the beams they've so carefully exposed. The prices are somewhat lower on average here, with only slight variations from high to low season. Half board is rarely included, but hearty cheese and meat-laden breakfast buffets almost always are. Warm, good service is a given.
Browse Eastern Switzerland Hotels
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's