Eastern Switzerland Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Top Reasons to Go
A bibliophile's paradise: Admire the UNESCO-inscribed library at the Abbey of St. Gallen, which features an Egyptian mummy and 100,000 ancient books.
The cows finally come home: Take part in an Appenzell Alpfahrt festival, when cows are herded up into the nearby mountain slopes (in spring) and back down (in fall).
Colorful medieval architecture: St. Gallen, Schaffhausen, and Stein-am-Rhein are teeming with colorful frescoes, half-timber buildings, dragon-clad steeples, and ornate bay windows.
The Rhine maidens: See Europe's third-largest river as it snakes its way to Germany. Take a lunch-boat ride, swim in the pristine river, or cycle along the river's grassy banks, lorded over by storybook castles.
Swiss cheese: Pungent Appenzeller is beloved by the Swiss. Using a 700-year-old recipe, this cow's milk cheese is aged and washed with a secret herbal brine.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe