- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Known in English as Lake Constance, the Bodensee is about 65 km (40 miles) long and 15 km (9 miles) wide, making it second in size in Switzerland only to Lac Léman (Lake Geneva). The strong German flavor of the towns on its Swiss edge is seasoned with a resort-village mellowness; palm trees fringe the waterfront. This isn't the Mediterranean, though; as the lake is not protected by mountains, it can be windy in spring and fall and quite humid in summer. European vacationers come here during the warmer months for swimming, windsurfing, and fishing. Small vacation homes alternate with opulent villas along the lakefront.
Elsewhere in Eastern Switzerland
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's