When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
When to Go
The Oberland has four distinct seasons, each more beautiful than the last. Valley springs and summers are perfect for outdoor activities, from hiking and biking to swimming. Falls becomes crisp around October and winter brings snow. Keep in mind that snow can stay as late as May and come as early as August at over 6,500 feet.
Winter versus summer? Everyone loves the magic of snow, but all that white can easily lend a sameness to all those mountains—something you avoid if you enjoy an Alpine summer. Warm weather can also mean haze, which can taint your photos of spectacular valleys, so be sure to pack your camera's polarizer filter. If crowds aren't your thing, try the early spring/late fall off-season. Cultural offerings are limited to traditional arts and crafts, although Gstaad hosts the Yehudi Menuhin Music Festival every July/August.
No matter the season, sports enthusiasts will be in their element: hiking, biking, waterskiing, sailing, parasailing and gliding, bungee jumping, skiing, snowboarding, and sledding are just a few activities available.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save at 4-Star BEST WESTERN bern: $275 & Up in Jun Expedia
- Bern Savings! Book 3 Nts in Jun at Novotel Bern Expo Fr $163+/Nt Expedia
- Book in Bern: Save this Jun Fr $181+/Nt — $181 Expedia
- Bern Savings! Book at Holiday Inn Bern-Westside Fr $166+/Nt — $166 Expedia