- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- French Phrases
- German Phrases
Getting Here and Around
Mürren is usually accessed from the center of Lauterbrunnen village by an aerial cable car and Bergbahn cogwheel rail (round-trip 20.40 SF) from Grütschalp, but these can be shut for maintenance (global warming's permafrost melt has increased closings); alternatively, take the bus to Stechelberg—located at the far end of the valley—where two even more dizzying cable cars (round-trip 20.40 SF) have you reaching for the sky in no time. Upon arrival, Mürren splays out along a long mountain ridge road lined with hotels, restaurants, shops, a few historic chalets, and a large Sportzentrum (sports center).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe